Activities of the Department of Chemistry
2015 – 16:
· 10 years after starting UG course in Chemistry and after producing 8 batches of Graduates successfully, in the year 2015-16 Post graduate course in Chemistry was started in TKGAC.
· University has granted permission to enroll scholars for Ph.D programme.
· Chemistry Department of TKGAC has organized seminar on the topic of “APPLICATION OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FOR RURAL AREAS” on 10-09-2015. This seminar was sponsored by Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology”. More than 500 students and faculties have attended and benefitted.
· Dr.M.Tamilselvi was conferred with Ph.D by SRM University, Kattankulathur, Kancheepuram District. Title of the Thesis: "Studies on the development, Characterization and Corrosion resistance of Nano Zinc phosphate Coatings on Mild Steel.
· Shri.G.Sundaraselvan has been functioning as the Co – Ordinator of National service Scheme (NSS) for three academic years from 2015-16 to 2017-18.
· Shri . G.Sundaraselvan has been functioning as the Co – Ordinator of Youth Red Cross.
2016 – 17:
· A lecture was given by Thiru.E.Sivalingam, CM, NLCIL on the topic of “THE NEED AND METHODOLOGY OF WATER & OIL ANALYSIS IN THERMAL POWER PLANTS”. This lecture was organized as a part of the inaugural function of Chemistry Association.
2017 – 2018:
· Dr. G.Sundaraselvan was conferred with Ph.D by Thiru Valluvar University, Vellore.
2018 – 19:
· Mrs.S.Gunavathy and Mrs.K.Arulvani had registered for Ph.D programme at PGP college of Arts and Sceince, Namakkal (Periyar University).
· Dr.C.Shiyamala and Dr.G.Sundaraselvan (Reg.No TVU/Ph.D/Guideship/2018/2787) have been granted Guideship by Thiruvalluvar University to guide Ph.D scholars.
2019 – 20:
· Dr.M.Elangovan has taken classes for 40 hours for the welfare of students appearing for TNPSC at TKGovrt. Arts College Campus under guidance of Cuddalore District Employment office, Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
· Under the Guideship of Dr.G.Sundaraselvan, Smt. P.Vijaya is doing research on "Organic synthesis and characterisation of N - containing Hetrocyclic derivatives.
· Dr.A.Kuraitheertha Kumaran has been granted Guideship by Thiruvalluvar University to guide Ph.D scholars.
· Dr.G.Manikandan has received the “BEST FACULTY TEACHING AWARD” from AMARAVATHY RESEARCH ACADEMY, GUNTUR, ANDHRA PRADESH.
2020 – 21:
The academic year 2020-21 posed the greatest challenge due to the COVID pandemic. The Government has enforced complete lock down on March 23rd. Though there are some relaxations in the lock down, the schools and colleges have not opened. So, the central and state governments, the faculty and the student community have to evolve new ways of educating the students through digital mode. Towards this, the faculty of Chemistry department have undertaken the following activities.
· Dr.M.Tamilselvi has conducted a National level On Line Quiz on Thermo Dynamics (PG Level) between 19-06-2020 and 22-06-2020. around 150 members participated and got their E certificate.
· Mrs.S.Gunavathy had conducted a National Level online Quiz on General Chemistry between 20-06-2020 to 23-06-2020. Around 1000 members participated and got their E-Certificate.
· Mrs.S.M.Anuradha has conducted National Level E-Quiz on Chemistry from 22.06.2020 to 25.06.2020 and 250 students participated and got their E-certificate from various institution.
· Dr.S.M.Anuradha was awarded Ph.D on 18/09/2020.
· Mrs.K.Arulvani has conducted a National Level online Quiz on General Chemistry between 23-06-2020 to 26-06-2020 . Arround 1000 members participated and got their E-Certificate.
· Dr.M.ELANGOVAN has conducted National Level Online E-Quiz on "GENERAL CHEMISTRY" on 20-06-2020 and 698 students have got their e-certificates from various parts of our nation.
· Dr.M.ELANGOVAN has conducted National Level Online E-Quiz on "GEL PERMEATION CHROMATOGRAPHY" on 22-06-2020 and 420 students have got their e-certificates.
· Dr.G.MANIKANDAN has conducted National Online E-Quiz on " Food Chemistry from 26.06.2020 to 28.06.2020 and 300 students have got their E-certificates from various institution.
· Dr.G.MANIKANDAN was awarded a Certificate of Reviewing in Journal of Molecular Structure since 2017 ( 41 reviews ) for Elsevier publication.
· Department of Chemistry has organized a webinar on 06-06-2020 on the topic of “Biomedical Waste and Environmental Safety Towards Healthy Future”. For the webinar more than two hundred persons of different institutions including Students, Scholars and Faculty members from all over Tamilnadu have registered. At the time of webinar more than hundred persons have actively participated and interacted with the presenter. About 150 persons have submitted their feedback and for those persons E certificates have been dispatched.
· The first semester of this academic year was completed by teaching the students through Online mode. Students and faculty have started new digital tools and applications like Zoom meet, Google Class room for learning/educating. E materials were made available to students for their learning. Semester exams were also held through digital means.